Professor Dirk Feldmeyer, Ph.D.
Head of Division
Functionality of Cortical Circuits
Contact Administrative Office
Pauwelsstraße 30, 52074 Aachen, Germany
phone: +49 241 80-89640
fax: +49 241 80-82422
Contact at Forschungszentrum Jülich:
Wilhelm-Johnen-Straße, 52428 Jülich
phone +49 2461 61 5226
fax +49 2461 61 6809 / 61 5730
This working group investigates the structural and functional aspects of synaptic transmission and its modulation at the level of neuronal networks, individual neurons and neocortical synapses both during development and in adulthood. For this it uses the somatosensory cortex of rodents, in particular the barrel field, as a model. The team studies the individual neuronal circuits within a cortical column in detail by examining slices of the brain. The long-term objective is to clarify and model the structural and functional organization of neurons and their synaptic connections in a cortical column. The working group cooperates with the Forschungszentrum Jülich in the JARA-BRAIN research alliance. In addition, the group is part of the Helmholtz Alliance on Systems Biology of the Barrel Cortex Function (BaCoFun) research group, which is funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG) and the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF), and of the International Research Training Group "Schizophrenia and Autism" (IRTG 1328).
Prof. Feldmeyer also works at the Institute of Neuroscience and Medicine, Molecular organization of the brain (INM-2) at Forschungszentrum Jülich, where he is head of the Function of Function of neuronal circuitries.
- Dept. of Biology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
- Center for Neural Informatics, Structures, and Plasticity, Krasnow Institute for Advanced Study, George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia, USA
(Prof. Giorgio Ascoli and Dr. Ruchi Parekh)
- IZKF Aachen, Depts. of Opthalmology and Neuropathology, University Hospital RWTH Aachen
(Dr. Florent Haiss)
- Institute of Neuroscience and Medicine 2, Forschungszentrum Jülich, and Dept. of Psychiatry, Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, Institute of Physiology, University Medical Center, Johannes-Gutenberg Universität Mainz
(Prof. Joachim Lübke)
- Dept. of Psychiatry, Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, University Hospital RWTH Aachen
(Prof. Thomas Nickl-Jockschat)
- Max Planck Florida Institute, Jupiter, Florida, USA, and Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics, Tübingen
(Dr. Marcel Oberlaender)
- Neural Circuits and Behaviour Group, Max-Delbrück-Centrum für Molekulare Medizin, Berlin-Buch
(Dr. James Poulet)
- Institute of Life Sciences, Department of Neurobiology and Interdisciplinary Center for Neural Computation
(ICNC) Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel (Prof. Idan Segev)
Publications Professor Dirk Feldmeyer, Ph.D.