As a tertiary and quaternary level provider of medical care, the University Hospital of RWTH Aachen combines patient-oriented medicine and care, teaching and research at an international level. The entire spectrum of medical care is provided through 36 specialist departments, 33 institutes and six interdisciplinary units. The co-location of patient care, research and teaching in a central building offers the best conditions for intensive interdisciplinary exchange and close clinical and scientific networking. Highly qualified teams of doctors, nurses and scientists work collaboratively to optimise the healthcare provision of our local, regional, national and international patients. Around 9,000 employees ensure that our care delivery is patient-oriented medicine and surpasses the highest quality standards. With 1,400 beds, the university hospital treats around 50,000 inpatient and 200,000 outpatient cases per year.
The Institute of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology is seeking a
PhD student (f/m/d)
The part-time position (65%/25 hours/week) starts as soon as possible, initially limited for 3 years with option of prolongation.
This doctoral student position is available in the laboratory headed by Dr. Roko Zaja and Dr. Karla Feijs-Zaja (www.fezalab.com). We are interested in ADP- ribosylation as protein posttranslational and RNA posttranscriptional modification. The project addresses the function of RNA ADP-ribosylation during pathological conditions. Depending on the interest of the candidate, this can be in different model systems, including cancer or immunity. The goal of the project will be to unravel how ADP-ribosylation is required to cope with specific stresses, and how we can possibly turn this into therapeutical applications. Methods used in our laboratory include basic biochemistry, cell and molecular biology methods but also more specialised techniques including superresolution microscopy and next-generation sequencing.
Investigation of RNA ADP-ribosylation
- Nanopore sequencing
- Molecular biological methods
- Cell biological methods
- Biochemical methods
- Literature research
- MSc in biochemistry, biotechnology, biomedical sciences or similar
- Experience with:
- cell culture
- molecular biology methods
- recombinant protein purification
- sequencing and bioinformatics
- Good English proficiency (Level C1)
Why should you choose us?
- 300 professions under one roof - more professional diversity is not possible
- We offer performance-based remuneration in accordance with the provisions of TV-L (EG 13), including attractive public service benefits
- In addition to a wide range of continued education and training opportunities we offer a variety of health promotion options and an extensive university sports program
- Monthly employee discounts through our corporate benefits program to save on private shopping
- Flexible working hours supporting your balance between career and family, because your work-life balance is important to us
- Attractive conditions for public transport or discounted employee parking for a relaxed commute
- A company kindergarten allowing your children to always be close by (Places subject to availability)
- Onboarding-App for new colleagues, to get to know the University Hospital RWTH Aachen before starting
- Long opening times of the staff canteen
This position is not gender specific.
The RWTH Aachen University Hospital promotes equal opportunities and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position. If qualified, they will be given priority in accordance with the State Gender Equality Act (“Landesgleichstellungsgesetz”). If suitably qualified, people with a registered disability will also receive priority.
Weekly working hours are negotiable.
We strongly encourage the use of our digital application portal at www.karriere.ukaachen.de. Using the online portal, your documents will be secured in the electronic application folder where they are well-protected against unauthorized access. Applications can be sent to us by email: email@example.com and will be transferred to the aforementioned portal. Any accompanying documents will be deleted immediately after transfer, in accordance with data protection regulations. After expiry of the retention period, the data in the portal will be deleted. If you object to a transfer to the Application portal your application cannot be considered.
Uniklinik RWTH Aachen, Institute of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Univ.-Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Bernhard Lüscher, Pauwelsstr. 30, 52074 Aachen.
The application deadline for the advertised position GB-P 46971 is 6thof March 2024.
For more detailed information please contact Dr. rer. nat. Roko Zaja, Tel.: (0) 241/ 80 85059, E-Mail: rzajaukaachende.