In the last years, massive parallel sequencing assays, also known as next generation sequencing (NGS), have been implemented in nearly all fields of molecular research. At the Medical Faculty and the University Hospital of the RWTH Aachen as well as at the Faculty 1 of the RWTH Aachen, a comprehensive expertise is available and major basic work has already been done. However, a central unit for NGS-based approaches and strategies was not existing. In addition, to the central role of NGS in molecular research, the technique becomes more and more important in the field of diangostics.
By considering the importance of the technique, and the growing demand for NGS based approaches, the Medical Faculty at the RWTH Aachen decided to implement a central working group aiming on a the development of a common structure for NGS. In particular, this concept focuses on networking of all institutions at the University Hospital and the RWTH Aachen applying NGS (e.g. Whole Exome Sequencing, RNA Seq, Chip Seq). The Working Group NGS at the University Hospital Aachen (WG NGS at the UKA) will bundle NGS activities in order to achieve a synergistic use of expertise and capacities in research and diagnostics, and to build up a central contact group for NGS topics.
Aims of the WG NGS at the UKA:
- Setup of an IZKF Core group “Genomics Facility” at the Medical Faculty and the University Hospital
- Setup of a NGS-Diagnostic centre
- Bundling and Networking of the existing NGS activities
- Common development of NGS based strategies and approaches
- Strengthening of Research at the Medical Faculty by implementing NGS
- Strengthening of Diagnostics to maintain the competitiveness
- Translational use of NGS applications to improve (personalized) patient management
- Implementation of new NGS approaches in teaching
Chair: Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Thomas Eggermann
Dipl. Inf. Ali Abdallah, Dr. rer. nat. Matthias Begemann, Dr. rer. nat. Ivan Costa, Dr. rer. nat. Bernd Denecke, Lin Gan, M.Sc., Prof. Dr. med. Ingo Kurth, Prof. Dr. med. Dr. nat. med. Nadine Gaisa, Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Bernd Lüscher, Prof. Dr.-Ing. Julio Saez Rodriguez, Prof. Dr. A. Schuppert, Prof. Dr. rer. nat. B. Usadel, Prof. Dr. med. Dr. rer. nat. Wolfgang Wagner, Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Martin Zenke