|2000 – 2005||Graduate Research Assistant, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA, USA, Prof. A. Scherer|
|2002 – 2003||Integrated Photonics Designer, Luxtera Inc., Pasadena, CA, USA|
|2005 – 2005||Postdoctoral Scholar, California Institute of Technology, Prof. Axel Scherer|
|2006 – 2009||Sr. Engineer, Staff Engineer and Sr. Staff Engineer (Team Lead), Luxtera Inc., Carlsbad, CA, USA|
|2009 – 2010||Principal Research Scientist, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA|
|2011 – 2015||Professor (W2), Integrated Photonics Laboratory, RWTH Aachen University|
|2015 – present||Professor (W3), Chair of Integrated Photonics, RWTH Aachen University|
Academic Qualification and Education
|2000||Diploma in Engineering, Ecole Polytechnique, Palaiseau, France|
|2001||M.Sc. Electrical Engineering, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA, USA|
|2005||Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, California Institute of Technology|
|2011||Professor at RWTH Aachen University|
- Optical Communications I: Devices (Winter Semesters, since 2012), M.Sc. Level
- Optical Communications II: Systems (Summer Semesters, since 2012), M.Sc. Level
- Electrical and Optical Measurement Systems (Winter Semesters, since 2014), M.Sc. Level
- Laboratory Class for Third Semester Students (Summer Semesters, since 2013), B.Sc. Level
Honors, Awards, Scholarships and Other Appointments (Selection)
- Senior Member of the IEEE (since 2016)
- Starting Independent Researcher Award of the European Research Council (ERC, 2011)
- Marie-Curie Career Reintegration Award (FP7, 2011)
- Member of Board of Directors of „Center for Digital Photonic Production“ (91b research center)
- Member of the European Alliance of Silicon Photonics ePIXfab (since 2016)
- Coordinator of the FP7 EU-Project “Broadband Integrated and Green
- Photonics Interconnects for High Performance Computing and Enterprise Systems” (BIG PIPES, 2013-2017)
- General Chair of the “10th Sino-German Joint Symposium on Opto- and Microelectronic Devices and Systems” (Aachen, Germany, Sept. 2018 – Upcoming)
- General Chair of the 2017 IEEE Conference on Group IV Photonics (Berlin, Germany)
- Co-chair of the technical program subcommittee “Silicon Photonics Applications and Systems” of the IEEE Conference on Group IV Photonics 2016 (Shanghai, China)
- Technical Program Chair of the “9th Sino-German Joint Symposium on Opto- and Microelectronic Devices and Systems” (Changchun, China, 2016)
- Co-Chair of the Workshop “Next Generation Ultra-Broadband Silicon Photonics Based Integrated Circuits” at the 2016 European Conference on Optical Communications, Düsseldorf, Germany
- Member of the Editorial Board of Scientific Reports (Nature Publishing Group, since 2015)
Silicon based integrated photonics with application to high-speed communications and sensing in the life sciences (biophotonics) at visible and infrared wavelengths.
- D. Stange, S. Wirths, R. Geiger, C. Schulte-Braucks, B. Marzban, N. von den Driesch, G. Mussler, T. Zabel, T. Stoica, J.-M. Hartmann, S. Mantl, Z. Ikonic, D. Grützmacher, H. Sigg, J. Witzens, D. Buca, “Optically Pumped GeSn Microdisk Lasers on Si,” ACS Photonics 3, 1279-1285 (2016).
- S. Sharif Azadeh, F. Merget, M. P. Nezhad, J. Witzens, “On the measurement of the Pockels effect in strained silicon,” Opt. Lett. 40(8), 1877-1880 (2015).
- J. Müller, F. Merget, S. Sharif Azadeh, J. Hauck, S. Romero García, B. Shen, J. Witzens, “Optical Peaking Enhancement in High-Speed Ring Modulators,” Sci. Rep. 4, Art. 6310 (2014).
- S. Romero-García, B. Marzban, F. Merget, B. Shen, J. Witzens, “Edge Couplers with relaxed Alignment Tolerance for Pick-and-Place Hybrid Integration of III-V Lasers with SOI Waveguides,” J. Sel. Top. Quant. Electron. 20(4), Art. 8200611 (2014).
- S. Romero-García, F. Merget, F. Zhong, H. Finkelstein, J. Witzens, “Silicon nitride CMOS-compatible platform for integrated photonics applications at visible wavelengths,” Opt. Express 21, 14037-14046 (2013).
- J. Witzens, T. Baehr-Jones, M. Hochberg, “Design of transmission line driven slot waveguide Mach-Zehnder interferometers and application to analog optical links,” Opt. Express 18, 16902-16928 (2010).
- G. Masini, G. Capellini, J. Witzens, Cary Gunn, “A Four-Channel, 10 Gbs Monolithic Optical Receiver in 130 nm CMOS with Integrated Ge Waveguide Photodetectors,” OFC post deadline paper PDP31 (2007).
- B. Maune, M. Loncar, J. Witzens, M. Hochberg, T. Baehr-Jones, D. Psaltis, Y. Qiu, A. Scherer, “Liquid-crystal electric tuning of a photonic crystal laser,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 85, 360-362 (2004).
- J. Witzens, M. Hochberg, T. Baehr-Jones, A. Scherer, “Mode matching interface for efficient coupling of light into planar photonic crystals,” Phys. Rev. E 69, Art. 046609 (2004).
- J. Witzens, M. Loncar, A. Scherer, “Self-Collimation in Planar Photonic Crystals,” IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quant. Electron. 8, 1246-1257 (2002).